The Airport is located in the territory south of the main city of the Frignano territory, called "The Plains of Pavullo." In the early postwar period, due to its particular morphology and favorable meteorological conditions, this area attracted the interest of Luigi Teichfuss and Umberto Nannini, enthusiasts of aeronautics and in particular of Gliding.
Work began on the construction of the airfield, destined shortly thereafter to house Italy's first and most important school for Gliding.
The then Undersecretary of theAir Force Italo Balbo personally examined the organizational, training and promotional aspects, appreciating the area's characteristics, which were ideal for flying, and the high quality of educational activities.
Aerial view of the hangar and tents: clearly visible areas of work done on the ground, still without grassing.
Following Royal Decree no. 1610, Pavullo Airport was born on July 2, named after Giulio Paolucci, a young aviator from Romagna who tragically fell in 1928 on Pavullo's meadows.
For the Royal Air Force, the Airport became the reference point for the Italian territory. Pictured, from left, are the management building, workshop-laboratory, hangar and barracks.
In the foreground, Teichfuss's Sparrowhawk. In the background are the airport facilities: from left, the management building, workshop-laboratory, hangar and barracks.
4 p.m. Aug. 5. From a distance and from the northeast, the great cloud of dust caused by the destruction of the barracks by mines set off by German troops.
Early 1950s. Note the absence of hangars and barracks, present until 1944, replaced by three Morteo sheds surrounded by haystacks.
World War II and the immediate post-war period marked a time of decline for the Paolucci 's activities, which did not recover until the 1960s, with the rediscovery of the area by an active group of paratroopers and a growing gliding movement.
The new housing for paratroopers and offices of the Parachute School, still located in the old shed.
The planting of the distributor is concluded: recognizable Roberto Marzoli. (g.c. Daniele Bonvicini)
Demonstration with powered aircraft. These years also saw the founding of the first winch-launched Gliding School, which still represents excellence in the Italian flying scene.
Asphalt paving and grass track extension work. They began in the fall of 2003 and ended in the summer of 2005.
Overview of the airport facilities with the adjacent fire station active since the end of the previous decade.
Expansion works: helicopter pad relocation, new access road, new car parking area, new aircraft parking area, new Helicopter Base location.
Various phases of the installation of the new gas station, with two Jet A1 pumps and with avgas and mogas, operational since 2016.
In June, the runway and aprons were repaved, including with consolidation to contain cracks and with implementation of lighted visual aid systems for helicopter night flight. Part of the work was done at night by the light of tower-lights, with trucks loaded with asphalt arriving without the hindrance of traffic: this was to ensure higher temperature of the material and, consequently, higher quality of the work done. Then all the new road markings were done.
In June, the new footpath was also paved, laid out on the west side of the airport area and, compared to the previous one, further away from the runway fence.
Sulle Ali del Vento
Available collector’s boxed set, in 3 volumes, on the complete history of the Airport.
For all information contact the office.