Recreational and Sport Flying (VDS), is the flying activity carried out with ULM (ultralight) aircraft for recreational, recreational or sporting purposes. It’s a way of flying that follows simplified rules compared to general aviation. V.D.S. is a way of experiencing the sky with a spirit of adventure, with a desire to learn about new places while savoring all the pleasure of flight.
The course for obtaining the VDS/VM certificate is structured, as provided by Presidential Decree July 9, 2010 – no. 133, in two parts, flight and theory.
Theory classes, totaling 32 hours, are held in the dedicated classroom once a week for a duration of about two hours. The subjects, which will then be examined by an appointed examiner from the Aero Club of Italy, are as follows:
- Technology and performance of VDS devices
- Operations and emergency landings
- Traffic regulations and elements of aviation comms
- Air navigation
- Elements of aviation legislation
- Flight safety
Ultralight aircraft provided by the school are used for flying lessons and are operated throughout the year. The program involves at least 16 hours of dual-command flight time, including 4 solo pilot hours, and developed over several flight missions.
This number is the minimum required by Presidential Decree July 9, 2010 – no. 133 and may increase depending, primarily, on the aptitude of the student and the continuity with which he or she performs the flying activity.
The practical examination will involve a flight test with anAero Club of Italy examiner on board.
To start the course you need:
- Medical certificate of physical fitness for the performance of Recreational or Sport Flying (obtained by examination with a sports physician)
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Clearance from the Questura, with territorial jurisdiction, to the activity of Volo da Diporto o Sportivo
- Enroll as a student pilot in the Aero Club.
- Photocopy of valid identity card
- Fiscal Code
The cost of the course is €3,750 and includes:
- Course Enrollment
- Office practices
- Theory lessons
- 16 flight hours (excess missions will be paid separately)
- Annual membership in the Aero Club for the first year
- Airport services
The total costs of the Aero Club of Italy for the examinations (theoretical and practical), to be paid separately, are €200.
Duration of the validity of the certificate
the Certificate of Recreational or Sport Powered Flying (VDS/VM) is valid for two years. To renew it, a new medical certificate of physical fitness to carry out VDS activity must be sent along with a statement that, during the period of validity of the certificate, you have carried out flying activities for the ratings held.